You are facing eviction!
This is something that you never thought could or would happen to you.
What got you here?
What are you going to do?
What are you doing?
Your business is unstable because you are unstable, how do you thrive in business during eviction?
When I faced eviction earlier this year, I was literally waiting for this miracle to come and reverse this possible home loss action from me…the morning of I sat there in disbelief as the police showed up to escort me out because I had exceeded the time they had given me, which they said was ‘reasonable’.
Wow! I was homeless at 39. Been employed since 14, served in the military and was homeless. I couldn’t believe it! I was undergoing so many life changes and life loses, started a non profit in 2017 after I was constructively discharged from my previous contracted position. I was approved and then denied for unemployment. I was going back and forth with Unemployment, Department of Labor, and EEOC, and still raising my son and looking for some means to get back stable. I was in shambles!
I stayed mindful of the WHY?
The Transition from military to civilian to veteran to contracted employment to Entrepreneur had all been different. Here I stood at yet another crossroad that I had been working for but had not understood or know the exact path. In these moments you have much solitude. Your fight or flight kicks in and you have real LIFE decisions to make. People will tell you “just get a job”, unknowing that you have continuously been overlooked. That you work Uber, Lyft, Instacart, to make ends meet. You will want to give up, but you know unhappiness is on the otherside…so instead…lets THRIVE!
Here are the 5 ways I thrived through eviction…
1. Was transparent with my circle. See we forget that they are others like us. There are others who have experienced what you are currently experiencing and can offer support in so many different ways. It is a time a reflection and self awareness and your ability to vunerable and grow through the process is the strength in this tip!
2. Keep you brand/business moving. I was and currently am on a strict budget, but marketing STAYS! Your going to have days where you don’t know how to move nor do you want to move, but still move! If you have subscriptions make sure they are in the budget. Contact those already working with you and make a temporary payment plan. Those who want to see you successful and those that see what you are doing will be open and willing!
3. Post Post Post! You are not dead yet! You are transitioning into another mindset. You are going to have things that trigger you. It’s ok to post about it. Maybe not in midst of the event or the tears or before you are able to process, but post. Talk about one thing you are working on for your business, put energy into that. Notice the commonalities with those on your social media.
4. Give yourself Love and Compassion. I know some people think if your facing eviction it’s something you did wrong. You may also start to feel this way…but you know better right? So give yourself love. Sit down and take time to appreciate you in the midst of this. You are able and this is temporary. Be mindful of how you are treating yourself.
5. Get comfortable in the uncomfortable. I mean your facing homelessness! This is probably one of the most uncomfortable things you will face. But guess what is in the uncomfortable? Fear…yes, and also the Ability and Strength to push through. Like Visionary Andrea A. Moore said “Do it scared, do it now! This will be the best time to work on those new business ideas, rework those programs, be creative, colloborate, and tighten up because when this EVICTION is OVER, you will have risen so much further!
Be Uncomfortable, Be Fearful, but Be MOVING! (Literally and Figuratively)