Connect with us

Lifestyle

Trump Condemns Violence in Charlottesville Days After Backlash: Calls Racism “Evil”

Published

on

‘Racism is Evil’ — Donald Trump Condemns KKK, Neo-Nazis, and White Supremacists (Photo Credit: Breitbart)

President Donald Trump took to the podium on Monday to respond to the hate groups and violence taking place in Charlottesville Virginia over the weekend.

After igniting a firestorm for not specifically condemning the hate groups, amid criticism stemming from both sides of the aisle—Trump issued a much stronger statement specifically denouncing hate group by their name.

Speaking from the Diplomatic Room at the White House, Trump said that hatred and bigotry” have no place in America.

Trump began his speech by touting the success of the economy under his leadership, upon which he returned to the topic of violence in Charlottesville by providing an update to how the federal government will address the Charlottesville tragedy.

“Racism is evil,” Trump said, upon which he referred to the KKK, Neo-Nazis, and white supremacists as “repugnant” to everything America holds dear.

“To anyone who acted criminally in this weekend’s racist violence, you will be held accountable,” Trump said.

Trump’s more direct response comes days after violence erupted in Charlottesville, Virginia, where hate groups touting themselves as “white supremacist” gathered to protest the removal of a statue of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee before clashing with counter-protesters.

In his statement on Monday, Trump said the Department of Justice had opened up a civil rights investigation into the events leading up to the violence and tragedy.

“We will spare no resource fighting so every American child can grow up free from violence and fear,” Trump said.

At least one person died when a car driven by James Alex Fields., 20 of Maumee, Ohio plowed through a crowd Saturday, injuring more than a dozen. Two Virginia state troopers, responding to the protest were also killed in a helicopter crash on Saturday.

According to White House reports, Trump met with Attorney General Jeff Session and FBI Director Christopher Wray late on Monday morning.

Trump faced intense scrutiny and backlash for not calling out the hate groups after delivering a statement on Saturday, specifically when he condemned bigotry and violence from “many sides.”

The white supremacist groups staged demonstrations at the University of Virginia on Friday and in downtown Charlottesville on Saturday. They were holding a “Unite the Right” rally, to protest the Charlottesville City Council’s decision to remove a statute of Robert E. Lee, the Civil War general.

Pressure had been mounting for the president to condemn the protesters for several days since the violence erupted in Charlottesville, even from members of his party, to make clear that he denounced hatred and bigotry.

Some of the demonstrators proudly adorned “Make America Great Again” hats, to add to the quagmire of bigotry spilling over into hatred and violence, David Duke made his presence known, telling reporters that “We” are here to “fulfill the promises” of Donald Trump.

Before Trump’s speech on Charlottesville, Merck CEO Kenneth Frazier, resigned on Monday, from a White House advisory council on manufacturing to protest Trump’s failure to explicitly call out hate groups.

Trump responded on Twitter by attacking Frazier. “Now that Ken Frazier of Merck Pharma has resigned from President’s Manufacturing Council, he will have more time to LOWER RIPOFF DRUG PRICES!” he wrote.

The president did not take questions after delivering the brief statement by Teleprompter, despite reporters asking him why it had taken until Monday to make such a statement.

 

By LeNora Millen   08-14-17

Business

Roy Moore: America Was ‘Great’ During ‘Slavery’

Published

on

Roy Moore, the embattled Alabama Senate candidate under fire for alleged sexual misconduct with teenage girls when he was in his 30s, believes America was a better place at a time when slavery was still legal.

Republican candidate for U.S. Senate Judge Roy Moore speaks during a campaign event in Fairhope, Alabama, U.S., December 5, 2017. REUTERS/Jonathan Bachma

At a campaign event earlier this year, an audience member asked Moore for his opinion on when the last time America was “great.”

Moore responded: “I think it was great at the time when families were united—even though we had slavery—they cared for one another…Our families were strong; our country had a direction.”

The audience member asking the question was among the few African-Americans in attendance at the rally, according to a Los Angeles Times report.

Though many will draw their own conclusions about Moore’s statement, the implication could be construed by some people that perhaps Moore is willing to overlook the enslavement of people as long as families are “united.”

From a historical context, most who frown upon the “enslavement” of people could easily point to the hypocrisy of Moore using “slavery” as a premise for uniting families.

Family separation through sale was a constant threat.  Enslaved people lived with the perpetual possibility of separation through the sale of one or more family members.  Slaveowners’ wealth was largely in the people they owned, therefore, they frequently “sold or purchased” people as finances warranted.

Moore’s remarks featured in an article from the Times in September, resurfaced Thursday in a viral tweet from Eric Columbus, a former Obama administration official.

“Can’t make this up—Roy Moore said in September that the last time America was great was when we had slavery,” Columbus tweeted…

Moore’s comments at the rally aligns with President Donald Trump’s slogan, “Make America Great Again,” a rallying cry to incite his base.

Despite widespread condemnation amid the damning allegations the Senate candidate faces—Trump has endorsed Moore via Twitter refusing to acknowledge the Mounting allegations of Moore.  Trump also reportedly said “Go get ‘em, Roy!” during a recent phone call with the candidate.

The president’s refusal to call out Moore for the allegations point to the sexual harassment allegations lodged against then-candidate Trump by at least 16 women who accused Trump of sexually harassing them during his campaign.  Adding more fuel to the allegations, the “Access Hollywood” tape hanging over Trump’s head like a dark cloud still haunts President Trump who has since refuted tape as a conspiracy theory.

Trump’s denial of his role in the tape, prompted the former “Access Hollywood” host Billy Bush to call him out.  “He said it. Grab ’em by the p___y. Of course, he said it. And we laughed along, without a single doubt that this was hypothetical hot air from America’s highest-rated bloviator,” Bush wrote in his New York Times op-ed.

A recent Big League-Gravis poll gave Moore’s Democratic opponent, Doug Jones (who isn’t accused of sexually assaulting teenage girls), a slight edge over the Republican. The poll of 1,276 likely voters showed Jones leading Moore 48 percent to 44 percent. The election is on December 12.

On December 4, Trump tweeted, “Putting Pelosi/Schumer Liberal Puppet Jones into office in Alabama would hurt our great Republican Agenda of low on taxes, tough on crime, strong on military and borders…& so much more. Look at your 401-k’s since Election. Highest Stock Market EVER! Jobs are roaring back!” Indeed, Trump apparently believes a man who was reportedly banned from an Alabama mall for harassing teenage girls would be “tough on crime” and is urging voters to support him.

Beyond his views on slavery and allegations of sexual misconduct, Moore also has referred to Native Americans as “reds and yellows,” has questioned former President Barack Obama’s place of birth (following Trump’s example) and once suggested Muslims should not be allowed to serve in Congress. In spite of all this, Moore still seems to have at shot of becoming a United States senator.

Moore’s comments are not only insensitive, they also speak to how detached he seemingly is from the ravages of slavery, America’s original sin.

Moore has shown time and time again, in his remarks insensitivity to certain groups.  He’s referred t to Native Americans and Asian Americans as “reds and yellows.”   The controversial candidate compared the Supreme Court decision legalizing same-sex marriage to the decision that effectively denied black people citizenship.  Moore has also questioned whether former President Barack Obama was born in the US. And he previously argued that Muslims should not be allowed to serve in Congress.

 

LeNora Millen        12-08-17

Continue Reading

Business

Former Congressman Harold Ford Jr. Fired by Morgan Stanley for Alleged Misconduct

Published

on

Harold Ford Jr., a former congressman, was fired by the financial services firm Morgan Stanley following allegations of misconduct, NBC confirmed on Thursday.

Morgan Stanley declined to say specifically what prompted the firing. The allegations were presented after a woman who was not employed at the firm accused Mr. Ford of acting inappropriately in a professional setting.

Mr. Ford’s termination reported by HuffPost as an exclusive has been challenged by the former Congressman as “false claims.”

Harold Ford Jr., a former congressman, was fired from his position as a managing director at the financial services firm Morgan Stanley for what the company described as behavior “inconsistent with our values.”CreditMike Groll/Associated Press

In a statement provided by his lawyer, Mr. Ford denied the sexual harassment allegations, stating in a tweet on Thursday that he will be bringing legal action against the reporter, for making false claims against him, as well as Morgan Stanley for wrongful termination.

“This simply did not happen,” Mr. Ford wrote. “I have never forcibly grabbed any woman or man in my life.” He added that socializing with members of the press was part of his job, and said that “false claims like this undermine the real silence breakers.”

Mr. Ford served five terms in Congress as a Democrat representing a Tennessee district after first being elected in 1996—serving as Congressman from 1997 to 207.

He joined Morgan Stanley as a managing director and senior client-relationship manager in 2011 as a vice chairman and senior policy adviser at Bank of America.

 

Amid the heightened scrutiny of sexual harassment and inappropriate behavior toppling key figures in the entertainment and political arena, Mr. Ford is the latest high profiled man to lose his job in recent days for similar allegations.

Time magazine on Wednesday named the “Silence Breakers” its Person of the Year. They shared personal stories about harassment and assault and sparked the #MeToo movement.

According to Time, the #MeToo became a hashtag, a movement, a reckoning. But it began, as great social change nearly always does, with individual acts of courage.

In a tweet acknowledging his thoughts on the “Silence Breaker” quite pointed in his statement, Mr. Ford said the following in regards to news of his firing on Thursday, “This simply did not happen.  I have never forcibly grabbed any woman or man in my life.”

In another tweet, Mr. Ford spoke about his professional demeanor and his tremendous respect for the brave women speaking out “in this important national dialogue.”  Mr. Ford was pointed in stating that false claims alleged against him “undermine the real “Silence Breakers.”

Mr. Ford appeaed as a frequent guest on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe.” MSNBC – which is owned by NBC 4 New York’s parent company.

“We are looking into the report about Harold Ford Jr.,” a spokeswoman for MSNBC said. “During that time he won’t be a guest on MSNBC.”

LeNora Millen            12-7-17

Continue Reading

Business

TV One Cancels Roland Martin’s Morning Show ‘News One Now’

Published

on

TV One is canceling Roland Martin’s morning show “News One Now,” Roland made the announcement in a tweet Wednesday.

“Fam, the sad news is true. The staff of @tvonetv #NewsnewOneNow was informed this afternoon that after four years of doing groundbreaking and award-winning work, the show will cease production at the end of the year,” Martin tweeted.

Martin, who thanked audiences for their support, said the last episode will air on Dec. 21.

Roland Martin’s morning show “NewsOne Now” was cancelled due to budget cuts according to various reports from reliable sources.

“They called a meeting on Wednesday and told the staff they were canceling the show. They’re having significant financial problems and they have to scale back,” a source said. “After four years of award-winning programming and distinguished service to our viewers as the only black daily newscast on television, the network has made the difficult decision to suspend the production of NewsOne Now as a daily morning news show. The last live show is scheduled [Dec. 21],” TV One’s interim GM, Michelle Rice wrote in a memo.

Host of “News One Now” Roland Martin speaks on stage during ColorofChange.org 10 Year Anniversary Gala. (Rob Kim/Getty Images for ColorOfChange)

The news of “NewsOne Now” cancellation shocked Martin and staffers according to sources. The network had recently expanded the morning show to two hours in September.

The memo added: “While we will continue our long-standing partnership with Roland Martin to ensure his important voice can be heard across all Urban One platforms examining issues of importance to the black community, we regret this decision adversely affects several of our valued colleagues whose positions will be eliminated with the suspension of the show.”

The network issued a statement on Twitter that read, “We are committed to providing quality news to our viewers and to our long-standing relationship with @rolandsmartin #NewsOneNow who will continue to have a voice on #TVOne.”

LeNora Millen         12-07-17

 

Continue Reading

Most Viewed Posts

Trending