President Trump arrived in Paris Thursday for talks with French President Emmanuel Macron, and to attend Bastille Day celebrations as the guest of honor on Friday. The trip to Paris is Trump’s first public appearance since returning from the G20 summit of world leaders in Germany.
Trump and his French counterpart, Emmanuel Macron, in their talks will work toward setting aside differences on climate change and trade to hopefully find common ground ahead of Bastille Day celebrations in Paris.
U.S. President Donald Trump and First Lady Melania Trump arrive aboard Air Force One at Orly (Photo via New York Daily News)
Arriving in the French capital after an overnight flight from Washington hours before his bilateral meeting with Macron, potential solutions to the crisis in Syria and broader counter-terrorism strategies are tantamount to tackling key issues surrounding differences facing both countries.
Trump’s withdrawal from the U.S. from the Paris climate accord, for example, sparked outrage across Europe, which has generated a base for anti-Trump planned protests—while Trump visits Paris.
A visionary and staunch advocate of research to combat global warming, President Macron reached out to “all responsible citizens,” including American scientists and researchers, “to bring their fight against climate change to France.”
Amid the controversy surrounding his eldest son, Donald Jr., Trump is expected to face scrutiny about emails revealing that Donald Trump, Jr., welcomed the prospect of receiving Russian government support in last year’s presidential campaign against Hillary Clinton.
Contending that Russian collusion efforts are a “hoax” made up by the Democrats, Trump did not delay defending his son, on Wednesday, praising Donald Trump Jr.’s performance in an interview on Fox News Channel. Trump also tweeted: “He was open, transparent and innocent. This is the greatest Witch Hunt in political history. Sad!”
Trump’s visit to Paris may have greeted him with a needed escape or ‘proverbial distraction’ from the whirlwind of media reports surrounding Donald Jr.’s email controversy.
President Trump will mark the 100th anniversary of America’s entry into World War I by visiting U.S. troops; he will also be the guest of honor at Friday’s Bastille Day events — a celebration of French national pride. White House officials are casting it as a celebration of the U.S.-French military alliance — both then and now. A lavish dinner at Jules Verne at the top of the Eiffel Tower is scheduled for both leaders and their wives—ending Thursday meetings.
Upon Trump’s announcing his decision on the climate agreement, Trump stated he was “elected to represent the citizens of Pittsburgh, not Paris.” Placing emphasis on terrorism, he said the city had been ruined by the threat of terrorism, which he ties to immigrants.
“Paris isn’t Paris any longer,” he said in February.
By bridging the gap between countries working toward potential resolutions, and counterterrorism issues, the move could give Macron and Trump the possibility of a healthy working relationship as he visits a city he often disparaged.
Macron’s national security platform is similar to Trump’s. On Syria, he calls for intervention, noting that President Bashar Assad is a threat to Syria and the Islamic State group is a threat to France. In recent years, France has been plagued by extremist attacks. During last year’s Bastille Day celebrations, a 19-ton cargo truck deliberately plowed into crowds in Nice, killing more than 80 people.
Macron supports intervention against Syria’s government, specifically when strategically addressing measures to respond to use of chemical weapons. Macron believes this approach could prove an important ally as the Trump administration seeks to increase pressure on Assad. Macron cautions that the Trump administration will need to address Russia’s support for Assad, something Trump has only passively acknowledged.
Trump’s four-day hiatus from a public appearance, came on the heels of the White House described as “paralyzed” attemps to tackle the most alarming news to date in the long-running Russia inquiry. Donald, Jr’s attempt last year to obtain damaging information on Hillary Clinton from a Russian lawyer who was described to him as connected to the Kremlin, which places him as a central figure among many other’s in the Russian probe.
Evangelical leaders gathered in the Oval Office to pray for President Trump. (Photo via Washington Examiner)
An initial plan for Trump via Trump aides was to spend a majority of the week pressing Congress to act on his health care bill. However, two tweets from Trump on Monday would create a media storm, thus placing the health care push on the back-burner to address Donald Jr.’s email controversy surrounding the Russian investigation.
Instead, on Monday, a group of evangelical pastors and religious leaders prayed with Trump in the Oval Office, with some laying their hands on the president, their heads bowed. On Wednesday he interviewed with the conservative televangelist Pat Robertson, host of “The 700 Club” program, on Robertson’s Christian Broadcasting Network.
Former Congressman Harold Ford Jr. Fired by Morgan Stanley for Alleged Misconduct
Harold Ford Jr., a former congressman, was fired by the financial services firm Morgan Stanley following allegations of misconduct, NBC confirmed on Thursday.
Morgan Stanley declined to say specifically what prompted the firing. The allegations were presented after a woman who was not employed at the firm accused Mr. Ford of acting inappropriately in a professional setting.
Mr. Ford’s termination reported by HuffPost as an exclusive has been challenged by the former Congressman as “false claims.”
Harold Ford Jr., a former congressman, was fired from his position as a managing director at the financial services firm Morgan Stanley for what the company described as behavior “inconsistent with our values.”CreditMike Groll/Associated Press
In a statement provided by his lawyer, Mr. Ford denied the sexual harassment allegations, stating in a tweet on Thursday that he will be bringing legal action against the reporter, for making false claims against him, as well as Morgan Stanley for wrongful termination.
I will now be bringing legal action against the reporter who made these false claims about me as well as Morgan Stanley for improper termination.
— Harold Ford, Jr. (@HFord2) December 7, 2017
“This simply did not happen,” Mr. Ford wrote. “I have never forcibly grabbed any woman or man in my life.” He added that socializing with members of the press was part of his job, and said that “false claims like this undermine the real silence breakers.”
In regards to news today, This simply did not happen. I have never forcibly grabbed any woman or man in my life.
— Harold Ford, Jr. (@HFord2) December 7, 2017
Mr. Ford served five terms in Congress as a Democrat representing a Tennessee district after first being elected in 1996—serving as Congressman from 1997 to 207.
He joined Morgan Stanley as a managing director and senior client-relationship manager in 2011 as a vice chairman and senior policy adviser at Bank of America.
Amid the heightened scrutiny of sexual harassment and inappropriate behavior toppling key figures in the entertainment and political arena, Mr. Ford is the latest high profiled man to lose his job in recent days for similar allegations.
Time magazine on Wednesday named the “Silence Breakers” its Person of the Year. They shared personal stories about harassment and assault and sparked the #MeToo movement.
According to Time, the #MeToo became a hashtag, a movement, a reckoning. But it began, as great social change nearly always does, with individual acts of courage.
In a tweet acknowledging his thoughts on the “Silence Breaker” quite pointed in his statement, Mr. Ford said the following in regards to news of his firing on Thursday, “This simply did not happen. I have never forcibly grabbed any woman or man in my life.”
In another tweet, Mr. Ford spoke about his professional demeanor and his tremendous respect for the brave women speaking out “in this important national dialogue.” Mr. Ford was pointed in stating that false claims alleged against him “undermine the real “Silence Breakers.”
Mr. Ford appeaed as a frequent guest on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe.” MSNBC – which is owned by NBC 4 New York’s parent company.
“We are looking into the report about Harold Ford Jr.,” a spokeswoman for MSNBC said. “During that time he won’t be a guest on MSNBC.”
LeNora Millen 12-7-17
TV One Cancels Roland Martin’s Morning Show ‘News One Now’
TV One is canceling Roland Martin’s morning show “News One Now,” Roland made the announcement in a tweet Wednesday.
“Fam, the sad news is true. The staff of @tvonetv #NewsnewOneNow was informed this afternoon that after four years of doing groundbreaking and award-winning work, the show will cease production at the end of the year,” Martin tweeted.
Fam, the sad news is true. The staff of @tvonetv #NewsOneNow was informed this afternoon that after four years of doing groundbreaking and award-winning work, the show will cease production at the end of the year. Our last live show will be Dec. 21. #BringTheFunk
— rolandsmartin (@rolandsmartin) December 7, 2017
Martin, who thanked audiences for their support, said the last episode will air on Dec. 21.
Roland Martin’s morning show “NewsOne Now” was cancelled due to budget cuts according to various reports from reliable sources.
“They called a meeting on Wednesday and told the staff they were canceling the show. They’re having significant financial problems and they have to scale back,” a source said. “After four years of award-winning programming and distinguished service to our viewers as the only black daily newscast on television, the network has made the difficult decision to suspend the production of NewsOne Now as a daily morning news show. The last live show is scheduled [Dec. 21],” TV One’s interim GM, Michelle Rice wrote in a memo.
Host of “News One Now” Roland Martin speaks on stage during ColorofChange.org 10 Year Anniversary Gala. (Rob Kim/Getty Images for ColorOfChange)
The news of “NewsOne Now” cancellation shocked Martin and staffers according to sources. The network had recently expanded the morning show to two hours in September.
The memo added: “While we will continue our long-standing partnership with Roland Martin to ensure his important voice can be heard across all Urban One platforms examining issues of importance to the black community, we regret this decision adversely affects several of our valued colleagues whose positions will be eliminated with the suspension of the show.”
The network issued a statement on Twitter that read, “We are committed to providing quality news to our viewers and to our long-standing relationship with @rolandsmartin #NewsOneNow who will continue to have a voice on #TVOne.”
— TV One (@tvonetv) December 7, 2017
LeNora Millen 12-07-17
President Donald Trump will recognize Jerusalem as the capital of Israel
Why declaring Jerusalem as the capital of Israel is so controversial?
Subscribe to Exposure Magazine Daily News
- Editor Picks3 days ago
Soul Singer Audra Bryant Releases Single “Scars”
- Politics3 days ago
Rep. Steve Cohen on Introducing “Articles of Impeachment” against President Trump and more on the GOP Tax Bill!
- Politics4 days ago
Alabama Senate Race: Roy Moore, Doug Jones Make Final Pitch at Monday Rallies
- Business4 days ago
Port Authority Explosion: Suspect in Custody After ‘Attempted Terrorist Attack’
- Politics15 hours ago
Omarosa Denies White House Firing: Says Rumors are Result of ‘Personal Vendetta’
- Exposed1 day ago
PBS Suspends Distribution of Tavis Smiley Indefinitely After a Sexual Misconduct Investigation
- Politics2 days ago
Omarosa Manigault Newman Resigns From White House
- Business4 days ago
Apple Confirms it has Acquired Music Recognition App Shazam