Steph Curry And Chance The Rapper Assist President Obama In This New Ad For ‘My Brother’s Keeper’ (Photo/ Sports | BET).
Former President Barack Obama teamed up with musician Chance the Rapper and Golden State Warriors’ Stephen Curry in a new public service announcement for the My Brother’s Keeper Alliance.
The ‘PSA’ was released Saturday on YouTube through the Obama Foundation, which launched the My Brother’s Keeper initiative in 2014.
The ad, titled “We Are the Ones,” is a call to action for the MBK movement, which Obama started in 2014, with an initiative to bring safer communities to young people of color. “I want you to know, you matter. There is nothing, not a single thing, that’s more important to the future of America than whether or not young people all across this country can achieve their dreams,” says Obama in the clip.
“I am my brother’s keeper,” Chance the Rapper adds. Chance and Obama’s relationship is well documented. Last month, the Chicago rapper performed at the Obama Foundation Summit, a two-day event that drew leaders from all over the country to discuss pressing issues.
In November, Chano hosted an episode of Saturday Night Live, where he participated in a skit of a 90s-era R&B group who wanted Barack back in office.
At the time—Chance the Rapper teamed with Kenan Thompson and Chris Redd in a digital short music video begging former President Barack Obama to return to office and relieve Trump of his current duties.
“Every night, I turn the TV on and cry,” they crooned, channeling a ’90s R&B act like Boyz II Men. “I feel like we’re all going to die. So come back Barack! Even though it’s not allowed, we want you back somehow. I need you in my life… Like really bad, like world war bad.”
“We didn’t know just what he had,” Chance sings. “Now things are really bad.”
Check out the “SNL Skit” below:
In May of this year, former President Obama gave an informal plug for Chance to show up at his recording studio in the Presidential Center under construction at built at the time, saying his lab would be a place where someone could, “invite Chance the Rapper or Bruce Springsteen, depending on your taste, to come here and talk about how you can record music that has social commentary and meaning.”
The MBK Alliance was launched with the goal of sustaining Obama’s mission of addressing “persistent opportunity gaps” facing boys and young men of color. “You all know the numbers,” Obama said during a launch event at Lehman College in May 2015. “By almost every measure, the life chances of the average young man of color is worse than his peers. Those opportunity gaps begin early—often at birth—and they compound over time, becoming harder and harder to bridge, making too many young men and women feel like no matter how hard they try, they may never achieve their dreams.”
Since its inception, MBK has expanded to include more than 200 cities, counties, and Tribal Nations in their MBK Community Challenge program. This year, the MBK Alliance had ended its status as an independent nonprofit and transitioned into a “core initiative” of the Obama Foundation.
Medicare Takes Aim at Medical Identity Theft: Protecting Seniors From Fraud
Criminals are increasingly targeting people age 65 or older for personal identity theft. In 2014 alone, there were 2.6 million such incidents among seniors, according to the Department of Justice.
A growing offshoot of identity theft is healthcare fraud, which can result when someone unlawfully uses another person’s Medicare number. Medical identity theft can lead to inaccuracies in medical records, which in turn can result in delayed care, denied services and costly false claims.
That’s why Medicare works with the Department of Justice, taking aim squarely at would-be thieves. In the largest law enforcement action against criminals fraudulently targeting the Medicare, Medicaid and Tricare programs, 412 people around the country, including 115 doctors, nurses and other licensed medical professionals, were charged in 2017 with bilking U.S. taxpayers out of $1.3 billion.
New Medicare Card for 2018. (Video Courtesy of YouTube)
The next big fraud-fighting push is well underway — and its focus is protecting the personal information of senior citizens by removing their Social Security numbers from Medicare cards.
People with Medicare don’t need to take any action to get a new Medicare card. Beginning in April 2018, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) will mail out newly designed Medicare cards to the 58 million Americans with Medicare. The cards will have a new number that will be unique for each card recipient. This will help protect personal identity and prevent fraud because identity thieves can’t bill Medicare without a valid Medicare number. To help with a seamless transition to the new cards, providers will be able to use secure lookup tools that will support quick access to the new card numbers when needed.
Healthcare fraud drives up costs for everyone, but healthcare consumers can be an effective first line of defense against fraud. Follow these tips to help protect yourself:
- Treat your Medicare number like a credit card.
- When the new card comes in the mail next year, destroy your old card and make sure you bring your new one to your doctors’ appointments.
- Be suspicious of anyone offering early bird discounts, limited time offers or encouraging you to act now for the best deal. That’s an indicator of potential fraud because Medicare plans are forbidden from offering incentives.
- Be skeptical of free gifts, free medical services, discount packages or any offer that sounds too good to be true.
- Only give your Medicare number to doctors, insurers acting on your behalf or trusted people in the community who work with Medicare, like your State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP).
- Report suspected instances of fraud.
- Check your Medicare statements to make sure the charges are accurate.
- Don’t share your Medicare number or other personal information with anyone who contacts you by telephone, email or approaches you in person, unless you’ve given them permission in advance. Medicare will never contact you uninvited and request your Medicare number or other personal information.
- Don’t let anyone borrow or pay to use your Medicare number.
- Don’t allow anyone, except your doctor or other Medicare providers, to review your medical records or recommend services.
- Don’t let anyone persuade you to see a doctor for care or services you don’t need.
- Don’t accept medical supplies from a door-to-door salesman.
Learn more about how you can fight Medicare fraud at Medicare.gov/fraud, or call 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227). You can also visit a local SHIP counselor, who can provide free, one-on-one, non-biased Medicare assistance.
With a common sense approach to protecting health information, senior citizens can be effective partners in fighting Medicare fraud.
Source: Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services
Trump Children’s Health Insurance Tweet Contradicts White House Administration
Washington (CNN) President Donald Trump contradicted his own administration on Thursday when he tweeted that funding for the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) should not be included in a short-term plan to fund the government.
Trump’s tweet sent on Thursday morning, seemingly undercut the “Stopgap Spending Bill,” leaving many confused at what could be construed as an “Anti-Chip” tweet.
What If a Government Shutdown Occurs? Five Things to Know
The Air Force Life Cycle Management Center at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base BARRIE BARBER/STAFF
The federal government faces a partial federal shutdown threat Friday without a $1.1 trillion appropriations spending budget or a temporary stopgap spending measure in place.
Here’s what could happen in the Miami Valley if a shutdown occurs:
FURLOUGHS: A Wright-Patterson Air Force Base spokesman said this week the base had not received guidance on what actions to take. But the last time a federal government shutdown occurred in 2013, thousands of Wright-Patterson civilian employees were furloughed temporarily. Among those exempted were police, fire, medical and airfield operations. Military service members remained on the job.
MUSEUM: The region’s biggest tourist attraction, the National Museum of the U.S. Air Force, would close until a funding deal is reached, according to a spokesman.
MAIL SERVICE: The U.S. Postal Service, which is considered self-funded, would continue operations, including home delivery and post offices, would stay open, a spokesman said.
DAYTON VA: The Department of Veterans Affairs medical facilities would remain open. The VA operates on a two-year budget cycle, exempting the department from the latest funding skirmish in Washington.
NATIONAL PARK SERVICE: NPS sites in the Dayton region closed during the last shutdown in 2013. An NPS directive issued in September 2017, said parks would close if a lapse in federal government appropriations occurs.
Source: Dayton Daily News
Subscribe to Exposure Magazine Daily News
- EXPOSURE MAGAZINE
Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
- Download vCard
- Real Estate2 weeks ago
10th Most Get Out State: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- Lifestyle4 weeks ago
I Go, You go, We Should All Go To Trago!
- Editor Picks4 weeks ago
Leading The Charge Exposure Magazine Co-CEO Gordon Woodberry on The E. Jones Show
- Social Media3 weeks ago
CBS46 Anchor Amanda Davis Hospitalized After Suffering a ‘Massive Stroke’
- Featured2 weeks ago
Why do African American women struggle to marry?
- Lifestyle4 weeks ago
Your Words Have Power
- Lifestyle3 weeks ago
Unleash Your Beast Mode
- Lifestyle3 weeks ago
Kwanzaa 2017: The Seven Days of Cultural Celebration