Connect with us

Politic

Published

on

Political Editor -LeNora Millen

Federal appeals court upholds block on Trump’s travel ban

The Federal appeals court on Monday refused to revive Trump’s U.S. travel ban, which would have affected people from six Muslim-majority nations.  The ruling upheld an injunction that blocked portions of President Trump’s executive order.

The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals was the second federal appeals court to reject the Trump administration’s bid to undo a Hawaii federal judge’s decision that blocked the temporary travel ban in a dispute headed to the U.S. Supreme Court.

The three-judge panel ruled Trump’s March 6 order a violation of existing immigration law, however, failed to address whether the travel ban was unconstitutional discrimination against Muslims.

President Trump criticized the federal appeals court ruling in a Tuesday morning tweet,

“Well, as predicted, the 9th Circuit did it again – Ruled against the TRAVEL BAN at such a dangerous time in the history of our country. S.C.” Trump said in a post on Twitter, apparently referencing the U.S. Supreme Court.

The revised travel ban was heavily criticized by the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals and described as overreaching national security powers.  The three-judge panel ruled that Trump’s inflammatory comments, notably his tweets about the travel ban a week ago gave credence to the court’s decision.

Given the fact that the immigration order was before the courts at the time of the tweet, within minutes of posting his thoughts on the travel ban, Trump received responses on Twitter about possible backlash.  He continued to tweet despite warnings.

The American Civil Liberties Union, for example, tweeted that Trump’s tweets could be used as evidence and if they waited long enough, he might provide the ACLU with a full brief.

The court also noted that White House press secretary Sean Spicer confirmed in a White House briefing that President Trump considers his tweets “official” statements from the White House.

Trump’s 90-day ban targets travelers from six Muslim-majority countries—Libya, Iran, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, and Yemen.

The 9th Circuit Court left in place a nationwide injunction by Judge Derrick Watson (Hawaii) that stopped parts of the order that Trump contends, is a needed action to prevent terrorism in the United States

The Richmond, Virginia 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, on last month, also upheld a Maryland judge’s ruling that blocked Trump’s ban.

President Trump has faced defeat in four court rulings on the March order prompting the White House administration to ask the U.S. Supreme Court for an emergency review.

U.S. Attorney General Sessions, in a statement on Monday, said Trump’s executive order was indeed lawful and that the court rulings have had a “chilling effect” on security operations.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Business

Former Congressman Harold Ford Jr. Fired by Morgan Stanley for Alleged Misconduct

Published

on

Harold Ford Jr., a former congressman, was fired by the financial services firm Morgan Stanley following allegations of misconduct, NBC confirmed on Thursday.

Morgan Stanley declined to say specifically what prompted the firing. The allegations were presented after a woman who was not employed at the firm accused Mr. Ford of acting inappropriately in a professional setting.

Mr. Ford’s termination reported by HuffPost as an exclusive has been challenged by the former Congressman as “false claims.”

Harold Ford Jr., a former congressman, was fired from his position as a managing director at the financial services firm Morgan Stanley for what the company described as behavior “inconsistent with our values.”CreditMike Groll/Associated Press

In a statement provided by his lawyer, Mr. Ford denied the sexual harassment allegations, stating in a tweet on Thursday that he will be bringing legal action against the reporter, for making false claims against him, as well as Morgan Stanley for wrongful termination.

“This simply did not happen,” Mr. Ford wrote. “I have never forcibly grabbed any woman or man in my life.” He added that socializing with members of the press was part of his job, and said that “false claims like this undermine the real silence breakers.”

Mr. Ford served five terms in Congress as a Democrat representing a Tennessee district after first being elected in 1996—serving as Congressman from 1997 to 207.

He joined Morgan Stanley as a managing director and senior client-relationship manager in 2011 as a vice chairman and senior policy adviser at Bank of America.

Amid the heightened scrutiny of sexual harassment and inappropriate behavior toppling key figures in the entertainment and political arena, Mr. Ford is the latest high profiled man to lose his job in recent days for similar allegations.

Time magazine on Wednesday named the “Silence Breakers” its Person of the Year. They shared personal stories about harassment and assault and sparked the #MeToo movement.

According to Time, the #MeToo became a hashtag, a movement, a reckoning. But it began, as great social change nearly always does, with individual acts of courage.

In a tweet acknowledging his thoughts on the “Silence Breaker” quite pointed in his statement, Mr. Ford said the following in regards to news of his firing on Thursday, “This simply did not happen.  I have never forcibly grabbed any woman or man in my life.”

In another tweet, Mr. Ford spoke about his professional demeanor and his tremendous respect for the brave women speaking out “in this important national dialogue.”  Mr. Ford was pointed in stating that false claims alleged against him “undermine the real “Silence Breakers.”

Mr. Ford appeared as a frequent guest on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe.” MSNBC – which is owned by NBC 4 New York’s parent company.

“We are looking into the report about Harold Ford Jr.,” a spokeswoman for MSNBC said. “During that time he won’t be a guest on MSNBC.”

LeNora Millen            12-7-17

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Continue Reading

Business

TV One Cancels Roland Martin’s Morning Show ‘News One Now’

Published

on

TV One is canceling Roland Martin’s morning show “News One Now,” Roland made the announcement in a tweet Wednesday.

“Fam, the sad news is true. The staff of @tvonetv #NewsnewOneNow was informed this afternoon that after four years of doing groundbreaking and award-winning work, the show will cease production at the end of the year,” Martin tweeted.

Martin, who thanked audiences for their support, said the last episode will air on Dec. 21.

Roland Martin’s morning show “NewsOne Now” was cancelled due to budget cuts according to various reports from reliable sources.

“They called a meeting on Wednesday and told the staff they were canceling the show. They’re having significant financial problems and they have to scale back,” a source said. “After four years of award-winning programming and distinguished service to our viewers as the only black daily newscast on television, the network has made the difficult decision to suspend the production of NewsOne Now as a daily morning news show. The last live show is scheduled [Dec. 21],” TV One’s interim GM, Michelle Rice wrote in a memo.

Host of “News One Now” Roland Martin speaks on stage during ColorofChange.org 10 Year Anniversary Gala. (Rob Kim/Getty Images for ColorOfChange)

The news of “NewsOne Now” cancellation shocked Martin and staffers according to sources. The network had recently expanded the morning show to two hours in September.

The memo added: “While we will continue our long-standing partnership with Roland Martin to ensure his important voice can be heard across all Urban One platforms examining issues of importance to the black community, we regret this decision adversely affects several of our valued colleagues whose positions will be eliminated with the suspension of the show.”

The network issued a statement on Twitter that read, “We are committed to providing quality news to our viewers and to our long-standing relationship with @rolandsmartin #NewsOneNow who will continue to have a voice on #TVOne.”

LeNora Millen         12-07-17

 

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Continue Reading

Editor Picks

President Donald Trump will recognize Jerusalem as the capital of Israel

Published

on

 

Why declaring Jerusalem as the capital of Israel is so controversial?

The final status of Jerusalem has always been one of the most difficult and sensitive questions in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. If the United States declares Jerusalem as the capital of Israel, it would be seen as prejudging that question, deciding an issue that was supposed to be left to negotiations and breaking with the international consensus on the holy city.
Recognizing Jerusalem as the capital also moves the United States one major step closer to relocating the embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem, which would be seen as cementing Israeli sovereignty over the city.

More from CNN…

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Continue Reading

Subscribe to Exposure Magazine Daily News

Enter your email address to subscribe to our daily news and receive news updates via email.

Join 37,446 other subscribers

Milwaukee
37°
mist
humidity: 93%
wind: 5mph ESE
H 41 • L 39
48°
Mon
36°
Tue
26°
Wed
35°
Thu
Weather from OpenWeatherMap

Contact

Map for INFO@RLASSC.COM Milwaukee Wisconsin 53202 United States

Trending